This is fairly simple, but most searches turn up info on migrating to Azure SQL Database and not to SQL Server. Besides having access to the Azure SQL Database and a SQL Server 2008 R2 instance, this requires the latest SQL Server Management Studio (I’m using SQL Server 2014 Management Studio).
- Connect to the Azure database server.
- Right click on the database, select “Tasks” > “Export Data-tier Application…”
- Go through the wizard to export the schema and data to the BACPAC format. Make sure everything is a success on the last screen.
- From SQL Studio, connect to SQL Server 2008 R2 (or later) instance and right click on “Databases” and select “Import Data-tier Application.”
- Go through the wizard, selecting the BACPAC file to import and specifying the new database name and file paths for the data and log files. Make sure the operation is successful.
That’s it! You may need to create a user or grant a user access.